- Four pieces of 7.5 cm x 8cm felt
- Two scraps of fabric about 6.5cm square
- Two pieces of plastic that can be stitched through (I used shower curtain plastic)
- Coordinating thread
- Two pieces of felt 9.5cm x 10cm (for the case)
- Rotary cutter (scissors could be used but a cutter makes nice clean edges)
- Craft (Xacto) knife
- Two squares of card stock 6cm square
- One square of card 4.5cm square
- A pencil
- Metal ruler
- PVA glue and brush
- Embroidery thread and needle
- Pinking shears
1. Choose felts and fabric and using a rotary cutter, trim them to the sizes listed above (the patterned fabric won't be seen after pictures are inserted into the frame.)
3. Using a very sharp craft knife and a metal ruler, cut the two squares out of the felt to create windows for the frame.
3. Place plastic on top of each window and stitch it to the felt. Stitch about 3mm or 1/8 of an inch from the inside edge of each window. Then trim any excess plastic away.
4. Optional step: Decorate one of the 7.5cm x 8cm squares of felt for the cover of the frame if you wish. I appliqued a heart with coordinating fabric.
5. Forgot to photograph this step so here's a little illustration.
Stitch the two frame pieces of felt with the plastic on them to the cover pieces of felt. The cover pieces of felt are 5mm longer on one edge, leave that excess cover felt on the inside edge of both halves of the frame, this is where it will be bound together.
Stitch about 3mm or 1/8 of an inch from the edge on three sides of the squares (see the stitching in the illustration). Repeat on the other side.The inside edges are left unstitched, this is where the photo will be inserted.
6. Now place the two assembled sides of the frame together with the windows facing each other and stitch about 3mm or 1/8 of an inch from the left edge that has the 5mm excess felt. Use thread the same colour as the cover felt if you'd like to blanket stitch the edge.
7. Brush PVA glue on to the 6cm square pieces of card then lay the coordinating fabric onto the squares and smooth the fabric down. Leave to dry and neatly trim the excess fabric from the edges of the card. These cards will be inserted into the plastic windows when the frame is completed.
8. Optional Step: Blanket stitch the bound edge of the frame with a contrasting embroidery thread.
9. To make the case for the frame take one piece of the 9.5cm x 10cm felt and trace a curve at the top of a 9.5cm end, cut along the curve with pinking shears or other decorative edge scissors.
10. Optional step: Decorate the cover for the case any way you like.
11. Stitch the two pieces of felt for the case together leaving the top edge open.
Finished. Insert two lovely pictures into your new lovely frame.