- One breakable, plastic hanger
- Wire cutters (you may not need these)
- Sewing machine
- A piece of oil cloth or heavy cotton fabric, roughly 36cm x 82cm (I recycled the best bits of an old, stained table cover)
- 38cm length of 2cm wide folded bias binding (you will fold it again to 1cm wide to go around the circular opening)
- Thread that matches the bias binding and thread that matches the fabric
1. Take a plastic hanger (the type that come free with clothing) and break part of the ends off. Lay the hanger on the pattern to check the length making sure it will fit inside the top portion of the bag. If it needs small trims, wire cutters work well. Be sure the hanger ends are smooth enough to not cut the bag. Use sand paper to soften edges if they're sharp.
2. Print out the pattern from this PDF file and enlarge it 135%
3. Fold fabric in half with right sides facing and cut out the pattern, making two pieces. Then cut the circle out of one of the pattern pieces.
4. Take a scrap of the fabric and test the stitching with your machine, especially if you are using oil cloth, you may have to adjust settings.
5. Fold the top point of each pattern piece down about 5mm with wrong sides facing, then sew them each down (if in doubt, see position of red dotted line on the pattern). This hems the edge where the hanger pokes through.
6. Iron your strip of bias binding in half to make a 1cm wide strip, this will make it easier to sew in place. Now starting at the bottom of the circle, cover the unfinished edge of the circle with the binding and slowly sew into place at least 5mm from the inside edge of the circle. When you get back to the bottom of the circle where you started, sew under the end of the binding to finish the edge.
7. Line up the two pattern pieces with right sides facing and using a 1cm seam allowance, sew the sides together, tapering both edges off the bag at the top and leaving a 1 cm unsewn gap for the hanger (see the grey dotted line on the pattern.) Then clip the rounded corners of the bag and turn the bag rightside out. Push out the corners with the rubber end of a pencil and insert your hanger.
Now fill with pegs and hang some laundry (singing optional).