My fingers have been very busy stitching over the last few weeks. Gifts for teachers, friends and so on - it all seems to happen at once. I really should be getting on with that de-stashing and packing referred to earlier but so far I've been a happy procrastinator and enjoying our first full week off school. I'll start next week... really I will.
Actually procrastinating isn't entirely accurate, in addition to stitching I've managed to hire a moving company, arranged a new dentist and final appointments, organized a service for my car (it's making very scary noises), created a new project for these guys which included a photo-shoot with small children (interesting), nursed a poorly little girl, took my sewing machine to be serviced (first time in 10 years, I love my Husqvarna) and spent several enjoyable hours teaching my children card games. The last item was of course the most important because they laughed like hyenas when I lost - it was so much fun.
That's all I can remember from the last five days, regular mum stuff. Doing a lot of little things, not really feeling like anything's been accomplished until now when I write it down here.
I was very pleased with how the little Rene Cloke inspired home above turned out, it may become an embroidery pattern.
And this crude, tiny applique of our school for our departing, long serving French teacher. It's a small sachet and the school is only 2.5 cm high but I managed all twelve windows and even fit in the attic windows. I thought small would be quick, I was wrong, but Madame Page is well worth it.
My happiest achievement of the last few days has been finding a solution to my huge embroidery floss management problem. The problem being that I'm too impatient to manage it. I've tried the cards but gave up as my stock grew and I tired of transferring them, plus I don't like the creases the cards make in the floss. There's mainly been big glass jars stuffed with skeins, but now I have this.
Not pretty, but meet my new system, shower curtain rings bought on sale for 8 pence a pack. I'd planned on making key rings with one of the classes at school but ended up doing something else instead so these were left waiting for new inspiration. It hit me when I tried to figure out a way to hang my floss in my fabric cupboard. I began separating the skeins by colour then slipped them on the rings and put them all on to one main ring and bingo! So simple and it works like a dream for me - very easy to sort, find the right colour and keep tidy. This is just a third of my floss but I know I'll get it all sorted because this system is quick and easy.
Notice the dry lawn in the background courtesy of our recent heatwave. No worries, the rain is back.
Happy Thursday everyone :)